Three Lil' Lewis Children

Three Lil' Lewis Children

Friday, February 26, 2010

$5 Lunch

Tomorrow is Maddy's birthday. I can't believe it! My oldest child, my first baby, is going to be 6 years old!

Maddy had been begging me to eat lunch with her at school since school started last August. I decided that today would be a great day to do that.

As a lunch tradition, one of the teachers walks around with a microphone to all the students who have visitors. She asks them who is visiting and why they came to visit. As the teacher was going around the room asking the other children why their mom, dad, grandparent, etc. came to visit them, I muttered to myself in a ghetto voice, "Mama came for da five dolla' lunch."

Most of the other kids' dialogue with the teacher went like this:

Teacher: "Hello.......who is visiting with you today?"
Kid: "My mommy."
Teacher: ".....and why is your mommy here with you today?"
Kid: "...because she loves me."

Here's how the dialogue went with my Maddy:

Teacher: "Hi, Maddy. Who is here with you today?
Maddy: "This is my mommy."
Teacher: "Aw......and why is mommy here with you today?
Maddy: "...because it's my birthday...and she wanted a $5 lunch."

Laughter erupted. Kids. They say the darndest things.

No comments:

Post a Comment