Three Lil' Lewis Children

Three Lil' Lewis Children

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Mommy's Job

Next month Maddy will turn seven. It's hard for me to believe that my first born is already going to be seven! To prove to you how independent and mature she is getting, I have to first explain the events of today.

We received major snow....about 3 inches in 2 hours. In fact, it's still coming down now and we should get around 13 inches total. The snow didn't start until after noon, so, we originally were going to pick Maddy up from school and take her straight to her first piano lesson.

Her piano teacher and I thought it would be best to cancel the lesson since the roads were bad and we were expecting a "white out." Since the lesson got cancelled, I called Maddy's school to let them know she should just ride the bus home like normal instead of being picked up.

When I went to get Maddy at the bus stop, she did not get off the bus - a mother's worst moment of panic. I returned to the house to find a voicemail from the school saying that she was in the office. It was about 5pm when I finally got to the school - thanks to my neighbor with 4 wheel drive and my other neighbor for sending her daughter over to watch Sawyer and Lizzy.

I expected Maddy to be upset, nervous, or scared, but she was content. She was sitting in the office very well mannered. I apologized to her and once we were in the car I explained what happened. I think Maddy actually had to comfort me more than the other way around.

When we got home, Maddy engaged with her siblings like normal and all was well. She ate her dinner and then asked me if she could "depart from the table." While I was cleaning up, I was on the phone talking to a friend. I thought I heard the water running, but wasn't sure exactly what it was so I ignored the sound. I kept talking on the phone and then decided to check out the noise. When I got upstairs to the bathroom, I opened it up to find Maddy giving herself a bath. I asked what she was doing and she said, "I am giving myself a bath."

Sure enough, Maddy gave herself a bath, washed her hair, got herself dressed, and brushed her teeth! She came downstairs with pjs, a robe, and slippers! I jokingly asked her, "What is mommy's job tonight? You have done everything that I'm supposed to do? I'm going to get fired!"

Lizzy joined the conversation and said, "You don't have a job!!!!" I looked at her with one eyebrow up and said, "I sure do!" Lizzy responded, "You stay at home!" I then said, "Taking care of all of you is a job, plus.....I am an aerobics instructor!"

Lizzy confidently responded, "What??? How is teaching all your friends how to exercise a job???"

No comments:

Post a Comment