Three Lil' Lewis Children

Three Lil' Lewis Children

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Lew's Big Adventure

A week before Lew passed away, she had taken herself for a walk....

My neighbor, Karen, rang our doorbell. I answered the door and immediately thought something was odd because Karen has never come to our house in the 2 years we have lived here.

"Do you have a Great Dane?" she asked. I answered, "A Great Dane? No. We have a Doberman?"

"Yes, yes, maybe that's it.....I saw this dog in my yard. Then it went across the street to Linda's yard and down the block. I thought.....hmmmm.....yes, it must be their dog and I came over here to tell you."

I knew that I had just let Lew in the back and our yard was fenced so it couldn't have been our dog. I looked out the back window and I couldn't see the dog. I got a little nervous, ran to the back kitchen door, and opened it up to look out. When I opened the door, Lew was standing right next to it, on the top step. She looked up at me like, "Hey?!?! What's up?!?!?"

I turned back to Karen and said, "Must not have been our dog. Our dog's right here." Karen then asked to see the dog. She came to the back and scratched her head while saying, "Yeah...looked just like your dog. Hmmm. I guess they say everyone has a twin. Sorry to bother you."

As she left and I shut the door, I thought, "What if the side gate is open?" I put on my shoes and went around to the side of the house. Sure enough, the gate was wide open. When I walked through the gate, I found that the dog had 2 water bottles and a tennis ball in her possession. All of which, I have no idea where they came from.

I closed the gate and smiled. I just imagined the dog spotting Karen heading toward our house and then Lew running back to beat her to the backyard like Ferris Bueller.

No comments:

Post a Comment