Three Lil' Lewis Children

Three Lil' Lewis Children

Saturday, December 10, 2011

This is Awkward

"Mom, here's my list for Christmas," Maddy said to me. "Maddy, um....I think you are going to have to cut this list down. It's quite long and quite expensive." Maddy turns her head right and left to look over her shoulder, "Look, I know there's no Santa. I know it's just you and dad. I already had this conversation with dad." "What do you mean?" I asked. "I know that there once was a Santa and he died and now there is no Santa. I mean, come on....how can Santa be in all the different malls?" Disappointedly, I ask, "What about the Tooth Fairy?" "You mean dad slipping the dollar under my pillow?" I continue to probe, "What about the Easter Bunny?" "Ummmm....the dude in the suit at the Community Center?" She continued, "Don't worry, I won't tell the other two."

I then ask her, "Is there anything that you believe in?" Maddy thinks long and hard before replying, "Ummmmm. Yeah! I believe that there once were Native Americans on this land and that they played the drums.......Oh! I also believe in God."

I then used her response as an opening to talk about God, Jesus, and Christmas....how if you believe you will receive, etc. when Maddy finally says, "Ummmm. Okay....I'm gonna go 'cause this is getting akward......."

No comments:

Post a Comment